Get In Sync With Your Asynchronous Classes
First things first — have you logged into Blackboard and/or Canvas? Start there to find your class information. The rest of this page, and the links on it, will help you get your courses on track for a successful semester.
Go through all of your class syllabi and find out the following:
- Can I work on this at my own pace or is the pace set by the professor?
- When are assignments due?
- How will the professor communicate with me?
- What are my goals for this course?
- Put important due dates in your planner (yes, make sure you have a planner!)
- Keep track of all your classes with a syllabus matrix
- Turn on notifications in Canvas to receive course announcements
- Check Canvas and Blackboard daily for updates
Plan a Schedule
- Schedule time for asynchronous classes as if they were a class that meets in-person
- Add available SI sessions, professor office hours or help sessions and attend as though they were required
- Make sure you have yourself “attending” class at least three times a week, with additional study hours
- Weekly Study Schedule
Set Weekly Goals
- Choose specific tasks and assignments to accomplish each week, list them by day.
- Write out specific activities to complete for each study session, be as detailed as possible
- Examples: Watching lecture videos, reading required readings, completing module quizzes, completing discussion boards, and any others you think of!
- Consider using this planner
Stay Accountable and Utilize Resources
- Find an accountability partner (think friend, parent, sibling, etc), check in with them once a week about your progress.
- Attend the virtual office hours your professor offers
- SI Sessions
- Academic Coaching
If you are unclear or don’t understand something, just ask! We are all here to support you!