Work for us
Tutors and Supplemental Instruction (SI) leaders are an important part of the Campus Learning Center team. These student employees work within their area of academic expertise to assist students with course content, study skills and other learning strategies.
Candidates for this position must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered:
- 3.2 cumulative GPA or higher
- Currently be enrolled in at least their second semester at VCU
- Enrolled in at least 6 undergraduate or 4.5 graduate credits at VCU
- Commitment to working a full semester
- Attendance at orientation
- Available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week
Opportunities and benefits
Opportunities and benefits of working as a tutor or SI leader include:
- Building interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Extensive training and professional development. Tutors are trained in accordance with College Reading and Learning Association guidelines. SI leaders are trained in accordance with best practices from the International Center for Supplemental Instruction at UMKC.
- Reviewing content for graduate-level and other exams (i.e. MCAT, DAT, GRE, CPA)
- Networking with faculty and staff
- The convenience of an on-campus job
- Competitive pay
- Working with peers in a supportive work environment
- Opportunity for promotion available after two semesters on staff
- Federal Work Study funds accepted but not required
Hiring process overview
Tutors and SI leaders are hired before the start of each fall and spring semester. The CLC does not hire new tutors or SI leaders mid-semester, for winter intersession or for summer sessions. The number of tutors and SI leaders hired each semester is based on specific course needs and the number of current tutors and SI leaders returning to staff.
The CLC will host optional interest meetings for students who want to learn more about the positions and the application process. Current tutors, SI leaders and supervisors will be present to answer questions. If you are not able to attend, you can review the presentation online.
- Tuesday, October 26 at 3:00 p.m. in Hibbs Hall 219
- Wednesday, October 27 at 5:00 p.m. in Hibbs Hall 219
The application for spring 2022 will open on Monday, November 1, 2021. The deadline to submit your application for spring 2022 is Sunday, November 21, 2021. Review the information on this page carefully before applying. Once you submit your application, the tutoring coordinator or SI coordinator will review it. If you are selected for an interview, one of the coordinators will contact you to schedule a virtual interview time.
Interviews for spring 2022 will take place in late November and early December. If selected, your interview will be with one supervisor and, likely, one student staff member. Interviews are conversation-based and do not include questions regarding course content.
Onboarding and orientation
If you are offered a tutor or SI leader position after the interview stage, you will be required to:
- Attend tutor or SI leader orientation
- Complete a pre-orientation assignment
- Complete a new hire packet through VCU HR including an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and a background check
Ready to apply?
If this is your first time applying to be a tutor or SI leader, complete the online application.
If you have previously applied to be a tutor or SI leader and need to update your course information, revise your application here.
You must be logged in to your VCU email account to access the application. If you are having trouble accessing the application, make sure you are signed out of all other Gmail accounts or try using an incognito browser tab.