During the first tutoring session each semester, all students will be required to read and sign the Tutee Rights and Responsibilities Contract.
Responsibilities as a tutee
To receive free tutoring services through the Campus Learning Center, you must:
- Be a registered VCU student seeking assistance with a VCU course that you are currently enrolled in.
- Not miss more than two tutoring sessions. After the second no-show, your appointment tutoring services will be suspended for the remainder of the semester until you have met with the assistant director to have your tutoring privileges reinstated.
- Arrive on time for every scheduled tutoring appointment. Tutors may depart if you have not arrived after a 20-minute period has elapsed, and your scheduled appointment will be considered a no-show.
- Notify the CLC of a cancellation at least 24 hours in advance by calling the front desk at (804) 827-8108, Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday 3 to 8 p.m. The CLC is closed on Saturday. If you call before or after the hours listed, your call will not be received as we do not have voicemail.
- Do not cancel recurring weekly appointments on short notice on a frequent basis. Students will be contacted by the assistant director if this becomes a problem.
- Bring all necessary materials to each tutoring session, including textbooks, class notes, laptop (if you need to work with a particular computer program) and any previous tutoring assignments.
- Attend all classes and take notes during class.
- Prepare for tutoring with questions and completed assignments. Tutors are not able to assist with take-home exams, quizzes and other graded assignments in accordance with the VCU Honor Code.
- Sign in and out on the computer for each session, including drop-in tutoring sessions.
- Request tutoring appointments two days in advance, Monday through Friday and Sunday only. Inform the tutor that you would like to make recurring appointments after your first appointment with a tutor. If you schedule a recurring weekly appointment, you must attend every week. If you cancel two consecutive weeks, then the recurring appointment will be canceled by the CLC unless you contact us otherwise.
- Be respectful and courteous of other students and tutors in the room.
- Contact the CLC immediately at (804) 827-8108 or Jennifer Lee, assistant director, at email@example.com if problems occur with tutoring.
Rights as a tutee
As a Campus Learning Center tutee, you have the right to:
- Receive free tutoring through individual appointments and during drop-in tutoring hours.
- Work with a trained tutor to assist with learning strategies and course content you do not understand.
- Ask questions of the tutor until you understand the subject matter.
- Receive assistance with appointment tutoring one hour per week per subject for up to two subjects and utilize drop-in tutoring as needed. Attempts to violate the one hour per week per subject for up to two subjects policy is considered academic dishonesty and is a violation of the VCU Honor Code. As a result of this violation, your appointment tutoring privileges will be suspended for the remainder of the semester, and you will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity.
- Have these rights unless you do not meet your responsibilities as a tutee.